One Step Closer

Walls shift from grey to green
a world away a cry is heard
I've forgotten, forgotten how to feel
Everything I told myself I'd learned.

One step back.

The sky is turning like the hands of a clock,
When slow motion hits, I'm stuck and I stare,
Frozen in a moment of time, waiting for the knock,
Seeing rain through window panes, and I forgot I care.

Glistening lakes of spun gold are what I've been told
To travel along, trusting time to tell.
Finally, it seems I've lost my hold,
and all I know is that everything I thought I'd had, others wouldn't even try to sell.

Worthless.

And as I watch the trees begin to sway,
I realize I've been procrastinating on listening for so long.
I kneel, and take this moment to pray
a prayer of obedience, my heart sings his song.

And I can see, that he is so much more than me,
despite my futile attempts to elevate my own dreams,
I am less, he is more, why couldn't I see?
I was blinded by ambition for broken seams.

I wish I knew then what I know now,
I would've dived in, I would've bowed down.

...But... I'm one step closer.



CONVERSATION

3 Tid-Bits:

Bee said...

Nice. I recognize the feeling. Is this intended as a poem or as song lyrics?

I particularly like this: "I've forgotten, forgotten how to feel/Everything I told myself I'd learned"

Completely random: I finished high school today. I'm actually going to miss it.

-Meghan (oh fine, real name :P)

Stevie Parris said...

Hey Meghan,
Gratz on finish up. :D This was actually intended as a poem, but most of my poetry can be turned into song lyrics because I'm so used to writing lyrics.
Note: The second to last two lines are actually taken from Katy Perry's Wide Awake(which sounds like it could be a worship song), as the title is taken from A Thousand Years (which is what I was listening to when I wrote it).

It's amazing what goes behind the writing process. :P

Bee said...

I kept hearing that "one step closer" line from Christina Perri in my head as I read it, haha, but I wasn't sure. :D The writing process is indeed a surprising thing.

Oh no. Wide Awake... well, I must say you've improved on that song. :P I have an aversion to it for some reason...

I once accidentally wrote a song to the same exact chord progression as a Weezer song. But I've heard it's okay to take those, especially when it's an accident. :P

I was homeschooled my whole school career. It feels weird to be moving on to something else. Oh well.

I think this was incoherent, blargh, writing too many emails at once. BUT YAY. I can relax as much as I want!! SUMMER.

Back
to top