4 Ridiculous iTunes License Statements

Have you heard about  iTunes' love of naming every possible thing that could go wrong with their application and blaming it on you? Well, if you haven't here's a quick run through.
iTunes is somewhat legendary for there terms and regulations on their software. Many are aware of the somewhat amusing coverage shown below.


However, Apple doesn't stop there. After reading through their terms and conditions I hesitate to click that I agree. Here's why:
4 Ridiculous iTunes License Statements:
Many assume that iTunes is a perfectly harmless application for music download. Then again, few have actually read the license agreement. The first of these is iTunes' Termination policy. I'm pretty much one of those people who just clicks "agree" on everything. However, this gave me pause. It reads:
Lol, whut? If I read that correctly, if I buy songs on iTunes and somehow defy the license agreement, such as trying to reverse their software, I am then required to destroy all purchased software. I can only imagine this includes everything. If I went to my local grocery store attempted to shoplift a pair of pants, as all local grocery stores should carry pants, would they require me to go home and burn all previously stolen pants before going to prison? No. That's ridiculous. iTunes, the solution to this problem? Sell pants man.

Number two originates from the "Consent to Use of Data" section. These clauses always freak me out. I'm already bothered by how much information Google has about me. Don't even try it iTunes. According to iTunes they take license to:
... Scary. I can only begin to imagine the amount of information passes through the application itself, but it also can gain: "information about your computer, system and application software, and peripherals." With those kinds of system specs Apple could hack the world. I predict the future to be a huge robot war between Apple and Google while Microsoft cowers in the corner.

The last two are both related to Limitations of Liability. Let me put them for you asap.
Basically what part one says is that Apple is not liable for any problems with the application during downloads etc. that may lose you money. They refuse to take any part of the guilt that clearly belongs to them sometimes. However, not only do they refuse you your rightful property, they also blame you for the loss. All quality, performance, accuracy, and effort is with you. Jerkish right? Apple needs to get a handle on these lawyers. Oh, and people need to read Licensing agreements. Some part of me wonders how well Apple would have made off with this licensing agreement in the early stages if people had actually read them. Well, food for thought. It is my responsibility to now inform you that it is indeed your responsibility to read these agreements. If you continue to sign off on things like this, you never know when bad will turn into worse. See, I'm just as mean as Apple, I want you to READ. Ah, how ironic the world is.

In any case, life lesson: don't agree to anything until you know what you're agreeing to.
Otherwise, someday tech companies will own the world.

CONVERSATION

0 Tid-Bits:

Back
to top