The Five Solas

Before I start the post, I feel the need to tell you we have two more competitors!
Steven @ Stefanostan
Na'chelle @ Through My Eyes

For more info read my challenge page.
That makes us ten solid in number! =)

So... I realized that there was a serious lack of "New Years Resolution"(nessesses) going on in my blog. Partially because my inner hipster wanted to avoid the mainstream, and partially cause I had to post my last-insane-I-don't-know-what-I'm-talking-about post. So, while I may be late, it is fashionably so.

My New Years resolution is doctrine, simply because my whole life is, or should be, based upon who God is and the pursuit of finding out who he is.
That having been said, I'll get to the point.

Watza Sola???
If you know me, you've probably heard me say or chat "Soli Deo Gloria" before. It's my anthem, it's who I want to be. Along with 2 Corinthians 4:16-17, these two things make up my aspirations.

So what are the Five Solas?

1. Sola Scriptura ("by Scripture alone")
2. Sola Fide ("by faith alone")
3. Sola Gratia ("by grace alone")
4. Solus Christus or Solo Christo ("Christ alone" or "through Christ alone")
5. Soli Deo Gloria ("glory to God alone")

So, why am I telling you this? Well, my resolution is to live the Five Solas, by grace alone (Sola Gratia) of course. When I began to brainstorm ideas for a NYR I instantly hit upon the Solas. Why? Because they characterize my belief. These were the pillars, the fundamental beliefs, first "established" during the Great Reformation. These are a big deal because they implicitly reject the beliefs of the Catholic Church, at least during that time. They are my faith. I live by these statutes, and therefore this New Years I will attempt to re-gear myself to strive to follow these "rules" harder than ever.

I will study God's word regularly and use other books to help me understand who he is and what's he's speaking.

I will live aware of who I am chasing. I will remind myself that I cannot be saved apart from believing Jesus is God's son.

I will live in his grace, by his grace, and not apart from his grace. I will be ever aware of my weakness and his might.

I will live the way I do because I know Christ's love and because I know that I have been saved by Christ only.

I will live my life to God's glory, not to my own, not to my friends, not to anything I own. My life will reflect who God is because I love him, because he first loved me. I will live my life ever praising, worshiping, and adoring Jesus, my savior.

CONVERSATION

0 Tid-Bits:

Back
to top